ZUR BALANCE SCALE
What is the ZUR BALANCE SCALE?
This ZUR BALANCE SCALE was developed specifically to assess the functioning of the sensory systems:
- The vestibular system
- The somatosensory system
- The visual system
- The patient is asked to stand in various positions on the floor and on a half-cylinder surface with eyes open or closed when the head and eyes are focused on a target or when moving the head in certain directions.
- The patient receives a score from 0 to 100 that describes his or her functional ability, including the degree of risk of falling.
- The ZUR BALANCE SCALE has been validated and tested for reliability between testers (Zur et al., 2016).
Who is eligible for assessment?
The measurements currently used in medical and rehabilitation have a low threshold, meaning that the patient describes instability, but the measure does not discern the patient’s disability and he/she receives a high score.
In order to assess the balance ability of an independent, active person who describes a decrease in balance, we better use the sensitive, validated and predicted fall, the Zur Balance Scale. The therapist will be able to determine the dysfunction immediately.
The patient will receive added value, as the dysfunction the patient reported becomes apparent. As a result, the therapist will be able to offer the patient an appropriate rehabilitation program.
The ZUR BALANCE SCALE Kit
This kit was developed after considerable evaluation regarding several components:
- Benefits for the patient and the therapist
- Appropriate size
- Durability of the components the patient stands on
- Easy to pack
- Easy to hold
- Easy to transport from place to place
What is included in the kit?
A 60-cm length of Styrofoam compressed in the shape of a half-cylinder, wrapped in a flexible, comfortable fabric.
An instruction page explaining the test
What is the cost of the kit?
The cost of the ZUR BALANCE SCALE package is 94 Euro, including postage